The other day I had 7 pieces of cooked plantain (cooking bananas) leftover from the beach party of my niece birthday party . It was a pity to throw them in the bin because they were still good. I kept on thinking what to do with them and so it came to my mind the hash brown that I have eaten in England, Ireland and of course the one my hubby made at home in Germany. So, I made this delicious plantain hash brown which I have adapted from the basic recipe of my hubby.
Ingredients : For 12-16 pieces
Vegetable oil for frying
7 leftover cooked plantain aka cooking bananas, grated
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons of sieved flour
1 teaspoon salt (or more depends on your liking)
- Mix the lightly beaten eggs with salt, garlic and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Add the egg mixture to the grated plantain.
- Then add the sieved flour. Mix them well.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in the heated frying pan.
- Form the plantain egg mixture into flat round hash browns and fry them both sides until golden brown.
- Serve this hot hash browns for breakfast or snack in between meals.
I was making this food in my Philippines home and I know that this food is not the kind of snack every Filipino grab with excitement. Hey, this is not a chicken joy, hamburger, McDonald's or Jollibee food. This is not a junk food. This is a food every poor Filipino people could make. That is if they know how healthy plantain or cooking banana is.
Anyway, I have made this plantain hash brown for the first time and I found it more delicious than the potato hash brown that I have made before. Would you care to try if you have plantain in your country?
Thanks for reading. Enjoy your day.☺
Copyright 2016 All Rights Reserved by Thelma Alberts