I am not a waster. I hate it when food is being wasted. Maybe my childhood experience one night time when we really had nothing to eat for supper if we had not borrowed a can full of NGA rice (a very low-quality rice in the Philippines) for making Linugaw (rice porridge) made me like this today. A "leftover" food maker wife. I usually create something new out of a leftover food, from leftover rice, potatoes, bread, pasta and more. Why throw food when it is still good to be eaten? I make a new meal out of what is left from yesterday. Sometimes when I am hungry, I cook plenty. I just can´t help it. No wonder I create a lot out of leftovers;-)
The other day, I baked pasta with mozzarella cheese from the leftover Spätzle / Spaetzle. (Spätzle is a soft egg noodle which is very popular in the south of Germany, Austria and Switzerland). I didn´t want to eat the same meal of Spätzle with brown sauce and steak the next day. I wanted something different and so I was inspecting my fridge again for ingredients that I could use. I found some good ingredients and so I was cooking. It was not the first time I baked leftover pasta but every time I was baking leftover, the ingredients were always different. So, it was always a surprise to me when my new creation went well and I couldn´t help it but share this with you. Shall we start?
|Some of the ingredients|
Ingredients: 4 persons
Olive oil, enough for sauteing
250 g leftover Spätzle or other pasta of your choice
2 pieces of garlic, minced
1 piece of onion, washed and cubed
1 ripe tomato, washed and cubed
6 round pieces of Salami, cubed
500 g tomato sauce
100 g grated Mozzarella cheese
Fresh basil herbs
Pizza dried herbs spices
salt and pepper
|Baked Leftover Spaetzle Pasta with Mozzarella Cheese|
You need baking tin beside frying pan or a wok.
- Heat the frying pan. Put the olive oil in the heated pan and saute the garlic, onion and tomato cubes.
- Then add the Salami slices. Stirring them well in the mixture.
- Then add the tomato sauce while stirring and leave it on a low heat until boiling.
- Add the pizza dried herbs, salt and pepper. Taste the tomato mixture if it is enough salt and pepper to your own taste.
- Add the leftover pasta, the fresh basil and mix them well in the sauce.
- Brush the baking pan with olive oil before putting the pasta mixture.
- Put the grated mozzarella cheese on top of the pasta.
- Bake it in the preheated oven (175°C) for around 20 minutes or until the cheese melted and golden brown.
- Serve with a salad of your choice. Enjoy!
|Almost empty pan of Baked Leftover Spaetzle Pasta with Mozzarella Cheese|
Thank you very much for dropping by. Please feel free to share this blog to your social media sites. Here are the links to my cooking site at Blogger and Hubpages where you can find some of my created and tested recipes. Enjoy your weekend and God bless.